[antlr-interest] merged Ric's changes into main ANTLR line

Terence Parr parrt at jguru.com
Wed Dec 5 12:22:02 PST 2001

On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 02:26  PM, Matthew Ford wrote:
> I read you interesting article on xml and I disagree about it as a
> reason to
> not use Ant
> One of the things I like about XML is using XML-Spy which makes XML
> human
> readable and also checks for valid inputs if you have DTD's and schemas
> Build files can get very messy and using Ant and XML-Spy is as good as
> any I
> have used.

Well, most people don't have nor will buy a tool to enter config files
I'd wager (plus I think a "real" language would still be easier).  I
argue that, yes, we can all read / write XML, but as a language "hammer"
every problem is a human-interface language "nail". ;)  As a person
hoping to promote good language design/implementation, I have to put my
money where my mouth is.  For example, since amazon got the one-click
patent (don't get me started), I have not bought a single book there
(though I do go there to waste their resources and then buy a book at
barnesandnoble <snicker>).

Sorry Matthew, I know I'm being a "prima donna" but... ;)

Ter