[antlr-interest] Re: Antlr grammar to parse Java classfile?

Terence Parr parrt at jguru.com
Thu Dec 6 16:39:29 PST 2001

On Thursday, December 6, 2001, at 04:32  PM, John D. Mitchell wrote:
> IMHO, this gets to the more general point of allowing at least some
> amount
> of grammar analysis and parser/walker generation at run-time rather than
> the current "static" analysis.  This would be at least nasty in the
> current
> system but in the predicated v3.0, I don't think it would be that
> onerous
> to support this since it's basically just the equivalent of run-time
> loop
> unrolling in a JITC.

Yeah, I was wondering if an "interpreted" version of ANTLR might be
nifty that did all analysis on demand.  It's basically much easier to
say "which branches can I take given these k tokens" than "compute the
world of all possible k-tuples that predict each path".  Once it
computed the analysis, it could cache that and reuse upon next
iteration.  It would be like a JIT.   Yep. :)

Ter
--
Chief Scientist & Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com