[antlr-interest] Re: lexical nondeterminism

John Merrells merrells at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 13:15:21 PST 2001

> I'm working on an XQuery grammar, but the snippet causing problems is
> from the Namespaces specification and could easily show up as part of
> almost any XML-related grammar I'd think. What's yours (if you don't
> mind saying)?

I'm working on XPath queries against a repository of indexed XML.
I've been looking at XQuery, but it looks pretty scary, so I'm sticking
with XPath for now.

Just to keep this on-topic for the list. I'm having trouble in with the
Number production. This works ok:

Number : Digits ('.' (Digits)?)? ;
Digits: ('0'..'9')+;
DotDot: "..";
Dot: '.';

But, this does not. Note the support for '.123':

Number : Digits ('.' (Digits)?)? | '.' Digits;
Digits: ('0'..'9')+;
DotDot: "..";
Dot: '.';

I get a bunch of non-determinism errors with k==2. Try as I
might to provide hints it just doesn't want to munch that down.
Someone care to point me in the right direction?

John