[antlr-interest] New to ANTLR... PLEASE HELP ME!!!

elangovan_angannan at yahoo.com elangovan_angannan at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 21:06:59 PST 2001

Dear ANTLR experts,

I am new to ANTLR, just started studying it. Could you please provide
me some ANTLR tutorial links? I got few. But those are not providing
a detailed explanation. I am in need of a good tutorial for parse
tree generation in ANTLR.

I am going through Michael Schmitt's SDL Parser 2000, which was
written in ANTLR. With my very little knowledge in ANTLR, I
understood your SDLLexer.g. But I have some doubts in SDLParser.g.
Could you please provide your valuable clarifications on the same?

1. What does ##, #([SDLspecification], ##) indicates
  in the statement
    { ## = #([SDLspecification], ##); }
      ??    ??????????????       ??

2. Why two rule names are given for the same rule?

     ScopeUnitKind!:
      start01: PACKAGE! { ## = #[Package];
            SETLINECOLUMN(##, start01); }

    Why ScopeUnitKind is followed by !?

  3. What is the use of nameDef[Type] rule? It has
  been commented out internally.

  Awaiting your valuable response...

  Kind Regards
  Elango