[antlr-interest] Frustrating (MSV)C++ EOF problem with 2.7.2a

tom_m_roeder tom_m_roeder at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 12 13:40:38 PDT 2002

Hi everyone,

   I'm new to the group, and have literally (modulo a couple days)
just started using ANTLR.  I like it very much, but have run into a
small issue with my lexer, and I hope you can help me clarify it.  My
parser/lexer now works with (ie. recognizes) my sample files, and I
believe that that part of it is correct, but it hangs on EOF.  I even
have EOF in the rule that I use to start, thus:

compilationUnits
    :    (compilationUnit)* EOF!
    ;

but the lexer seems to hang on waiting for the EOF.  There are several
notes in various places about the EOF conditions, but I was not able
to make any of them help.  I am compiling this under MS Visual C++
6.0, and have managed to compile the static library and link with few
problems, other than changing the __declspec(dllimports) so that it
doesn't get written.  I am compiling with _UNICODE and UNICODE
defined, however, and I have this fear that there's something along
these lines that is killing me.  Can anyone suggest a solution.

    Thanks,

       Tom Roeder