[antlr-interest] Advantages of C++ generated parser using ANTLR vs PCCTS ?

elias_biris user_sofia at biris.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Aug 12 21:08:44 PDT 2002

Hi,

I am a newbie in ANTLR. I notice that ANTLR is the continuation of
what was PCCTS. I want to use ANTLR to generate a C++ parser. My
question is, simply, where is a summary of the benefits for using
ANTLR vs using PCCTS ? I know the generic stuff (e.g. facilitating
grammar inheritance), but how about specific things like:

How does the C++ code generated using ANTLR compare to that generated
using PCCTS ? My interest lies in particular in the level of
indirection via virtual method calls (hierarchy levels). Is the code
generated by ANTLR in anyway optimized vs the code generated by PCCTS.
I heard the opinion that as C++ code generation for Antlr was added
after the support for java code generation was completed, the c++
generated is more 'java-ized' and may not be as optimal as pccts
generated code ... Is that correct ?

Finally, I know this is not a PCCTS forum but would anyone have any
pointers and/or examples as to how grammar inheritance can be done in
PCCTS ? It is not at all clear to me from reading the available
documents.

Thanks so much in advance for your help

Elias Biris