[antlr-interest] cool idea

blah blah trigonometric at softhome.net
Fri Aug 30 00:37:40 PDT 2002

I had an idea last night, It sounds quite obvious
and I had kind of feelings that It might already be
an aim of the ANTLR project, if it is then somebody
can give me the lowdown on the current status of
this particular idea.

I was thinking that if somebody designed some kind
of standard AST way to represent a program such
that any program in any language could be represented
by this type of AST then one could create translators
from lots of languages to create this AST and then
translators from the AST to lots of languages so that
translation from any language to any language would
be possible.

Has anyone started implementing this idea? (if it should
be obvious to me that someone, or everyone has,
then I apologise for my ignorance)

I am sure such a system would be very useful but perhaps
it kind of begs one to look into more complicated reflexive
systems such as TUNES instead..

Regards

AM