[antlr-interest] Antlr reporting differences between 2.7.1 and 2.7.2a6

Jorge Scandaliaris j_scandaliaris at yahoo.es
Mon Dec 16 15:33:40 PST 2002

Hi,
	I just wanted to point out some differences in the reporting
done by antlr in 2.7.2a6 compared to 2.7.1. So far I have seen it only
upon nondeterminism between different lexer rules. The two versions
applied to the same grammar give:
2.7.1
ANTLR Parser Generator   Version 2.7.1   1989-2000 jGuru.com
warning: lexical nondeterminism between rules DECIMAL_LITERAL and
BASED_LITERAL upon ...
2.7.2a6
ANTLR Parser Generator   Version 2.7.2a6 (20021130-1)   1989-2002
jGuru.com
D:\cvswork\vhdl_parser\VHDLparser.g: warning:null ...
	Now, I am not an antlr expert, so this messages actually help me
a lot (and I make lots of mistakes.) Is this behavior known to
everybody, or is it a little bug that slipped in? I must say that I
noticed differences in reporting only in this particular case (i.e.
nondeterminism between DIFFERENT lexical rules). If the nondeterminism
is between alternatives of the same rule, messages are OK.
	I know this might be a minor thing, but I wanted to raise the
point even so. When I get this messages I just re-run the older version
over the grammar to see where the problem actually is.
	Thanks,

Jorge