[antlr-interest] line information

Terence Parr parrt at jguru.com
Mon Dec 30 14:26:46 PST 2002

On Monday, December 30, 2002, at 01:53  PM, corno at dds.nl wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been browsing through the documentation and the code of ANTLR
> 2.7.1 but
> nowhere I've seen an example on how to show line information when I'm
> parsing
> trees. What I want to know is from which line on the source document a
> token/AST originated. If it's possible I'll probably have to call
> getLine() on
> some object, I just don't know which one.
> Can anybody help me?

Hi.  I think the right answer is to have ANTLR provide a new version of
the CommonAST that holds the actual token object it was created from.
This way you know everything including column info about whence a node.
  ANTLR normally invokes:

		tmp5_AST = astFactory.create(LT(1));

(where LT(1) is a Token object) to create a node unless you
specifically reference #[Type,"Text"] in your actions.

Somebody has a class like this I believe.  Can they speak up?  :)

I can create one pretty easily for 2.7.2.  This is really a necessary
addition I'd say.

Ter
--
Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com
Lecturer in Comp. Sci., University of San Francisco