[antlr-interest] Re: Is C# supported for parser generation yet pl s?

micheal_jor open.zone at virgin.net
Sun Jan 20 12:25:33 PST 2002

--- In antlr-interest at y..., "Smith, Eric V." <ericsmith at w...> wrote:

> I started one over a year ago, coding against 2.7.1a4.  I had most
of the
> samples working.  I got discouraged because of the changing nature
of the
> .Net runtime, which should be addressed now that it's RTM.  I was
also
> discouraged because it's difficult to track changes being made to
antlr,
> specifically the java code generator.

Perhaps the answer is to extract the java code generator and replace
it with a flexible set of extensibility interfaces. Hey Terrence?

All the code generators can then be rewritten against those
interfaces. As a bonus, adding additional languages would be made
considerably easier.

> I'm going to pick this up again, eventually.  I was going to wait
for 2.7.2
> to stabilize, and then try it again from scratch.  Actually I'll
probably
> wait for bug fixes against 2.7.2, since tracking changes is so time
> consuming.
>
> If you want to grab what I had, I think most of it is at
> www.windsor.com/erics/antlr-csharp-2.7.1.zip.

I would be happy to finish this if you are happy to pass on all that
has been done so far. Any docs would be appreciated.

> I'd also like to start a discussion on making this process easier.
Maybe
> something along the lines of the .Net CodeDOM model for language
independent
> code generation.

Is this in reference to generating parsers for multiple langues on
the .NET platform or, in relation to ANTLR's code generation process.
It might be useful in the latter as I suggested above.

Micheal