[antlr-interest] PreservingFileWriter

Terence Parr parrt at jguru.com
Tue Jun 11 10:59:10 PDT 2002

On Tuesday, June 11, 2002, at 05:02  AM, Ric Klaren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 04:19:40AM -0700, Bogdan Mitu wrote:
>> One question: isn't this feature slowing down things? I understand your
>> point in avoiding recompilation, but this can be accomplished in other
>> ways
>> too (<shameless-advertisement> for instance, using my new Ant task
>> </shameless-advertisement>). Can you please consider making this
>> feature
>> optional (through a command-line parameter)?
>
> Uhm ever tried to suggest command-line parameter to Terence?
> <ducks-for-cover>
>
> I don't quite see how ant can help recompilation problems in C++
> projects
> (behaves slightly different than java with the source and header files).
> Does ant look at the contents of files? Unless I missed something when I
> looked at it (<RANT TYPE="plz ignore ;)"> and hated it on sight, I don't
> quite see the use of ant (mostly in C/C++ settting, for java it might be
> way cool ;) ) Makefile's allow me to do things in a very flexible way
> and I
> for as far as Makefile syntax can be cryptic it certainly beats XML, and
> above all I don't want to install java just to run 'make', for me it was
> already a big step to install java to run antlr =)</RANT>).
>
> I discussed a bit about this feature with Terence I probably suggested
> commandline stuff somewhere in that discussion (and miraculously walked
> away with my head still attached to my shoulders ;) ).

<snicker>  Yeah, I get out the axe every time someone suggests a command
line option.  The PCCTS folks in the crowd thank me every time I resist
I suspect ;)  Anyway, I was kinda hoping to remove the complexity of the
mechanism for not writing files, but Ric convinced me that it was pretty
useful for C++.  Actually why don't I just make that sensitive to the
language option?  If C++ then do the preservation thing.  Make sense?

Ter
--
Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com