[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR grammar for ANTLR itself.

Terence Parr parrt at jguru.com
Thu Jun 13 13:33:53 PDT 2002

On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 01:28  PM, lgcraymer wrote:

> --- In antlr-interest at y..., Terence Parr <parrt at j...> wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 11:45  PM, fumikatsu_moriyama wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks a lot.
>>> Uuu..., I'm ashamed ...
>>
>> There is no shame...you are stronger than most because you actually
> have
>> the courage to look at the inside of antlr! ;) Not even I want to
> look
>> at antlr.g anymore ;)
>
> It's not that bad--there are a few unimplemented features, and it is a
> bit messy in places because of the unified parser/lexer/treewalker
> grammar approach.  For initial viewing, you probably want to use
> ANTLR's -html option (Ter--where did the strip actions option go?  I
> think that that was -g in PCCTS) to generate a file for viewing:  the
> grammar is cluttered with actions which make it a little hard to
> follow.

Yeah, i really want the "show me a hyperlinked grammar" thing that
actually works well.  I'd also like a simple internal data structure (a
graph) representing an ANTLR grammar so that one could do things like:

1. build a tool that dumped syntax diagrams
2. build a tool that highlighted nondeterminisms
3. build a prototyping tool that interpreted the graph instead of
generating code

it would also isolate the front end of antlr from the analysis from the
code gen phase.

Interesting...

Ter