[antlr-interest] Re: Modification of Node Attributes using Tree Grammar

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Mon Jun 17 03:36:10 PDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 09:03:18PM -0000, lgcraymer wrote:
> I've fixed the AST bugs in the Java version--the original
> implementation specifies variables as being of class CommonAST or
> <specialAST> or whatever; if your declare them as "AST" (generic) and
> fix the typecasting, you can avoid the type coercion problems (you
> don't have to read the code; the compiler complains and the
> corrections are pretty obvious).

Sounds great =)

> I haven't looked at the C++ implementation, but I assume that you've got
> something equivalent to the AST interface (the code generator needs only
> generic AST functionality except for AST creation).  There are also a
> couple of bugs in the tree generation which I had to fix.

Well C++ output is complicated by the reference counting class. I've toyed
around with it several times when I started to work on antlr. Yet I
couldn't solve things in a nice way at that time. Basically I'd like to
scrap most of the current runtime as soon as 2.7.2 is released.

> My version of ANTLR uses heterogeneous ASTs to generate tree grammars, so I
> had to make that work.  I'll be able to make my extensions (and bug fixes)
> available Real Soon Now--mostly the delay is that I haven't had time to
> take the last few steps in the release process.

I'm looking forward to your work :)

Ric