[antlr-interest] Re: aspectANTLR sketch

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 19 13:35:11 PDT 2002

Monty--

For Attribute Grammar Systems,
<http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Compilers/Attribute_Grammar_Sys
tems/> lists a useful set to which I would add Phillips Labs Elegant
system (the home page has temporarily? disappeared; I'll send you
the Elegant documentation files); a Google search on "Attribute
Grammars" will get you more.

On composition of grammars:  This is a pretty important
capability:  lexers for most procedural languages look very similar,
as do expression parsers.  I agree with Ter that grammar inheritance
isn't the right approach, but rule inheritance probably would be.
What you describe for noweb use sounds like a "poor man's" approach to
rule database management; for 3.0, I expect that we would have the
resources (people and time) to do something more. I'd like to see a
flexible rule database manager incorporated into an ANTLR IDE--it
should be able to add rules into the database by processing .g files.

--Loring