[antlr-interest] What tool[s] do you use when debugging ANTLR grammars?

bob mcwhirter bob at werken.com
Thu Jun 20 21:41:50 PDT 2002

> So what tools do you use for grammar debugging and, what tips can you
> offer an ANTLR newbie on grammar creation and debugging?

This is going to sound pedantic, but...

Learn about recursive-descent parsers.  You'll understand how ANTLR thinks
once you grok r-d parsers.  Then, you can just look at the generated
source, and figure out why ANTLR is zigging when you expected it to zag.

I highly recommend writing at least 1 r-d parser in your life.  It'll give
you an appreciation of exactly how much drudgery you avoid by using ANTLR.

	-bob