[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR and guarded predicates

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 20 11:02:38 PST 2002

--- In antlr-interest at y..., mzukowski at b... wrote:
> I don't have time to look into why it's not working right now, but
you could
> certainly get by with a subrule:
>
> production: (syntax guard)=>({semantic test}? another_production)
>           | some_other_production
>           ;
>
> Also note that PCCTS properly hoisted predicates into calling rules.
 ANTLR
> does not, you will have to manually hoist the rule yourself, like I
did with
> the typedef rule in the GCC grammar.
>
> Monty

ANTLR attaches sempreds to subrules (explicit or implied) internally,
so Monty's solution should work properly.  Fixing the internals
without breaking something else might be difficult:  as Ric has
mentioned in other emails, ANTLR's internal "tree" (custom,
unfortunately, not AST-based) structure is messy to deal with and
needs a redesign/rewrite.

--Loring