[antlr-interest] Anybody got an ObjectiveC grammar?

David Ewing dewing at apple.com
Thu May 2 08:54:17 PDT 2002

on 5/2/02 12:53 AM, Silvain Piree at s.piree at enneya.com wrote:

>> Heh I found it!
>>
>> http://www.antlr.org/1.33/contrib/ObjC.g
>>
>> At the website all the time folks :)  I new I got it from NeXT at one
>> point...they forced me to strip actions, but here is the grammar :)
>
> That's great, but .... do you know if it's complete?
>
> I checked it only to find that it did not contain any statement
> definitions. E.g. the rule "compound_statement" is used but
> nowhere defined (or am I missing some other file?).

I don't believe it's intended to be complete. I believe it's meant to work
as part of the C++ grammar for PCCTS.

I think it would be wise to grab the ObjC grammar out of gcc 3 sources and
merge the productions into the antlr C grammar. It might be good enough to
merge the antlr ObjC grammar, but it's possible that there have been ObjC
language changes since that was written. I really don't know what might have
changes, but that PCCTS grammar is pretty old.

Dave

P.S. The gcc ObjC grammar can be found in Apple's Darwin open source
repository in gcc3/gcc/c-parse.in. That file is passed through sed to
produce the yacc input files, and the ObjC portions are conveniently wrapped
in "ifobjc"/"end ifobjc" lines.