[antlr-interest] ... and ANTLR Patterns

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue May 7 14:21:57 PDT 2002

on 5/7/02 23:04, jsrs701 at jsrs701 at yahoo.com wrote:

> Speaking of medium-sized ANTLR projects, has anyone else thought
> about putting together an ANTLR Patterns collection?  A few that I'm
> thinking about, to whit:
>
> * Expression parsers with precedence
> * Successively applied tree parsers for optimization/transformation
> sequences
> * Text scanners (like Ter's "really big lookahead" article) vs...
> * Compilers
> * Interpreters
>
> What do people think?

This will be great STEP for ANTLR.

If continue this logic...I again want remind to Terr, that I was very
disappointed by "inheritance" of ANTLR.

When I have read about "inheritance" of grammar I was sure that I can have
few grammars that extend one other (like C++ classes), and I was going to
have

    grammar A
        -----> grammar B
        -----> grammar C

All in one application. I did expect to see that ANTL will generate 3
classes:

    class A_Parser
    class B_Parser : public A_parser
    class C_Parser : public A_parser

Instead I have to see only B and C classes that just CONTAIN common part of
A grammar :-(

Terr, you need ... No, you MUST invent how produce classes as I above.

Also will be great to have EASY way include that PATTERNS of grammar by
simple "include" and later referencing of a root rule of pattern.

--
Best regards,
Ruslan Zasukhin

Paradigma.