[antlr-interest] Re: ACE C preprocessor by Gosling

Terence Parr parrt at jguru.com
Wed May 29 19:42:22 PDT 2002

On Wednesday, May 29, 2002, at 06:55  PM, jsrs701 wrote:

> --- In antlr-interest at y..., Terence Parr <parrt at j...> wrote:
>> I had lunch with him just before Java hit the bigtime...nice guy.
>> Pretty unassuming for such a distinguished career.
>
> Yeah, my buddy said Gosling was one of the most even-keeled, well-
> adjusted humans he'd ever met.  Pretty good for someone so smart.  :-)
>
>> Very secret stuff ;)  Just trying to solve that last nasty problem
> of
>> the "emitter".  You have a tree, but how the devil to you generate
>> output without a million print statements.  I think I have a nice
>> "output grammar" idea that is the inverse of the input grammar.
>
> YES!  That would be great!  I think I see where you're going with
> that.  What kind of shape is it in?  When are you gonna RFC it for us?

As soon as I clear off other stuff like oh...making money ;)  Seriously
though, Loring Craymer and I spoke today and agreed maybe it's time to
start thinking about another "Dr T's Traveling Parsing Revival And Beer
Tasting Festival" here in silicon valley to discuss output grammars and
tree rewriting etc...

Ter
--
Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com