[antlr-interest] SQL CSharp parser:Its working! Thank you..

Brian Smith brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu
Fri Nov 15 02:32:27 PST 2002

Addi,

Why are you wanting to generate XML? IMO, that is just an extra step
that will cause you extra work. You should consider creating an ANTLR
TreeParser to extra the metadata. An ANTLR TreeParser should be simpler
and easier to maintain than whatever you would use to process your XML.
You will probably have to do this anyway to generate the XML as far as I
can tell. Well, maybe you could try to use the built-in AST
serialization-to-XML mechanism and then writing an XSLT stylesheet....

IMO, XML is a tool to use when you can't find a parser and can't create
one with reasonable effort, or when you need to communicate with people
that don't have a parser and you can't give them yours. In your case,
you have a parser that you seem happy with, and there is no standard SQL
interchange format that I am aware of; the closest thing I can think of
off the top of my head is OMG CWM+XMI but there are not many free tools
for that and XMI is difficult to process by hand. So, I doubt XML will
have any benefits in this situation; that is probably why you have had
trouble finding tools for XML-ized SQL.

- Brian