[antlr-interest] ANTLR build and package layout

Brian Smith brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu
Wed Sep 18 18:47:27 PDT 2002

Hi everybody,

(1) I am interested in contributing some patches to ANTLR. But, the
makefile seems not to work on Windows, with or without Cygwin. Since
ANTLR is pure Java, I am wondering if the ANTLR developers would
consider switching to Apache Jakarta ANT for building? I could submit
the ANT build script.

(2) It would be easier to understand the ANTLR source code if it were
divided into more packages. It is particularly confusing to have the
ANTLR runtime library and the code generator source code together in the
same package. Would it be possible to move the classes that support
antlr.Tool to their own package (antlr.tool.*)? Presumably antlr.Tool
itself would have to stay in the "antlr" package for backwards
compatibility with the ANTLR ANT Task and IDE integration, but I am not
sure.

I think it would also be nice to seperate the packages inside the
runtime library for the lexer, parser, and AST support (antlr.lexer,
antlr.parser, and antlr.ast?) Obviously, moving any of the runtimes
classes would break runtime compatibility, but perhaps it could be done
for 3.0 and beyond?

Thanks,
Brian