[antlr-interest] Any ready smart recovering from parsing errors?

Anton anton.safonov at refactorit.com
Mon Dec 1 09:27:37 PST 2003

Hi, All!

Does anyone has any ready techniques of parsing errors recovering of
the same strength as some time earlier mentioned Cocktail Compiler
Toolbox?

What I need, is to recover as much of the code as possible without
loosing any single token (ok, it is a super goal, but it would be
really great).
E.g. it should be able to parse such code with reporting just 2 minor
problems:
public void method() {
  if (x < y
    super.method()

It was said, that it is possible to port the code of that Cocktail
compiler into Antlr? Has anyone tried to do it actually? At least
anything?

As an alternative, I've seen also some notes about FOLLOW and FIRST
bit sets, which generally allow "as much as Cocktail does, but with
even greater flexibility". First of all, can not find these sets :(
And the second, it is really great to know that "it is possible", but
it would be even better to see it working! Any real examples
(especially for java.g)? Or good detailed descriptions of how to do
it?

I understand, that I can sit, take a month and get it working. The
problem is usual...

Hopefully waiting for your suggestions,
Anton