[antlr-interest] Help with building ANTLR on VC6

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Mon Dec 8 02:05:53 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 06:05:41PM -0800, Kelvin Goh wrote:
> I am using the latest version of ANTLR, 2.7.2. The dsw and dsp files in
> D:\antlr-2.7.2\lib\cpp that comes with the zip file appears to be outdated,
> as they referenced non existant source files, so I created my own,
> following the first 5 steps of the tutorial.

Get a developer snapshot at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~klaren/antlr/

You'll have to make the dsp/dsw's yourself, follow the instructions from
lib/cpp/README mostly (about the defines that need (not) to be defined).
(Don't include dll.cpp in the project)

You will get some errors in several header files on some vc7/7.1 stuff
stuff about _Tree_nod, Tmap_traits and similar names (already instantiated
or something like that) just remove those lines or #ifdef 0 them. Most of
these should look something like

#if defined(_MSC_VER) && !defined(__ICL) // Microsoft Visual C++
  template class ANTLR_API ASTRefCount< AST >;
  template class ANTLR_API ANTLR_USE_NAMESPACE(std)allocator< RefAST >;
  template class ANTLR_API ANTLR_USE_NAMESPACE(std)vector< RefAST >;
//template ANTLR_API int operator<( ASTRefCount< AST >, ASTRefCount< AST > );
#endif

Don't try to make a DLL with MSVC 6. See mailling list archive as to why.

Cheers,

Ric