[antlr-interest] What about grammar inheritance?

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Mon Dec 8 12:58:24 PST 2003

On Monday, December 8, 2003, at 12:47 PM, brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu wrote:

> Quoting Terence Parr <parrt at cs.usfca.edu>:

>> Either inheritance or delegation or something...haven't turned my
>> thoughts to this yet. :)
>
> I don't understand what the "Grammar reuse via RCS concepts" idea is.
>
> I think I mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again. SDF/SDF2
> has a
> really good grammar module system that is much more flexible than
> ANTLR's
> current grammar inheritence system. Whereas ANTLR's system is similar
> to subtype
> polymorphism (subclassing), SDF's mechanism is more like parametrically
> polymorphism (generics). You are encouraged to break up your grammar
> into
> reusable pieces, which you can then assemble in different ways,
> overriding and
> parameterizing rules as necessary.
>
> For a simple example, let's say you have a module for the lexical
> syntaxes of a
> bunch of languages; e.g. Java, C#, Standard ML, Lisp, CORBA IDL, etc.
> It is
> commonly the case that any new language you create will have a lexical
> syntax
> that is basically a combination of different subsets of these
> languages. So, it
> seems you would want to do something like this (the meta-language is
> made up):
>
> lexical grammar MyLanguageLexicalGramar is
> begin
>     StringLiteral imported from SQL;       -- We love single quotes
>     Identifier    imported from StandardML;-- why not allow primes in
> ID's
>     Comment       imported from PLSQL;     -- the ultimate comment
> marker
> end;

Hi Brian,

Yep, that's what I meant by delegations.

lexer JavaLexer;

delegate ID, INT, FLOAT to CGrammar;

> This is one very useful idea that is basically impossible to implement
> using
> ANTLR's current inheritence system (no multiple inheritence). It is
> easily done
> in SDF2's module system. Also, the rule template mechanism I suggested
> a long
> time ago can be implemented through this module system--each template
> rule is
> just a parameterized (sub-)module.

Interesting.  I'll bring this back up when I get more into the overall
functionality...i'm still working on the engine.

Ter
Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com
Co-founder, http://www.knowspam.net enjoy email again!
Co-founder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing