[antlr-interest] Re: What about grammar inheritance?

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 8 13:25:59 PST 2003

Silvain--

I'm not sure that you have gotten a direct answer, although if you've read the follow-ups you'll notice a commitment to supporting reuse
of grammar pieces.  The intent is to support a better mechanism for composing grammars, possibly at the workbench (IDE) level
rather than at a grammar level.  The current inheritance mechanism is pretty clumsy.

As far as the current grammar inheritance mechanism is concerned, that's done in the preprocessor (antlr/preprocessor) to substitute
rules.  I'm sure that you could maintain the preprocessor for backwards compatibility if you needed it.

--Loring