[antlr-interest] Re: Actually, not moderating != not professional

micheal_jor open.zone at virgin.net
Tue Dec 9 00:52:22 PST 2003

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "dotlessbraille"
<easjolly at i...> wrote:
> It is simply unprofessional to fail to ensure that a widely-used
> list is spam-free.

It is indeed very desirable that the list be spam-free. On the other
hand, since no individual or company I know can claim to be fully
spam-free, I don't see how the standards should be any different for
this list. Plus, any mesures taken to counter spam by
individuals/companies would also automatically work on mail received
from this list.

> Moreover, if the spam is X-rated, it can cause
> other types of problems (besides wasted time) for those who access
> the list at work or in a family setting.

The spam (as I receive them) are text messages with a URL. What the
URL links to is irrelevant as both it and the message that contains it
are so obviously not ANTLR business.

> I would certainly be very
> reluctant to recommend this list to a colleague.

This is an extreme position to be sure but, you are entitled to your
own opinion.

My own opinion is that if the spam-to-noise ratio increases, we should
try moderation (using long-time active members). If the moderation
loop seriously impacts on the send-receive roundtrip time, we should
stop it and advise members to install spam filters locally (which most
everyone already have anyways).

Cheers,

Micheal