[antlr-interest] Re: Not moderating == not professional

Tom Zagotta tzagotta1 at sienasystems.com
Tue Dec 9 10:42:16 PST 2003

Jeff,

I think your suggestion is right on the money, and is just what our list
needs.

Also, I would be willing to volunteer to help out. I'm usually at my
computer 12-16 hours/day.

Regards,

- Tom

I believe Ter is capable of working parsing miracles and would most
definitely rather he spend time doing that (ANTLR 3.0) and so would he (just
a guess on my part ;-).  The solution is then to delegate some of those
responsibilities.  However, it's Ter's list and he would have to feel
confident (trust) that the person(s) allowed to moderate would do it to his
satisfaction and are also willing participants.  If he chooses not to
moderate new users, the we can opt out of the list of our own free will.

There are varying levels of access for delegated moderators on yahoogroups.
I personally believe that simply enabling new member approval on the list,
the SPAM wpuld be cut about 99%, just because the joining process is more
involved and spammer's are lazy SOB's out for a quick buck and are usually
using e-mail accounts that either don't exist or are not ones they monitor.
It would then be easy to root out and delete any existing members that are
there to spam us.

So, my suggestion would be to switch the list options to require approval to
join and make sure that only members can post.  Then give a couple of
existing, willing, able, and trustworth list members rights to
approve/disallow new members.  I believe that all membership moderators will
receive a copy of the new membership request e-mail's that includes embedded
web URL's to either allow or reject the new user.  I don't believe it would
take much additional time to work through new member requests, nor to
identify blatant abusers and delete them, especially if these tasks are
shared/offloaded from Ter's plate.

My old recreational lists lists on yahoogroups required approval to join.  I
had a few people try to join that were obviously not interested in the list.
For some prospective members that looked suspicious, but could have been
valid requests, I would send an e-mail (from a special account) asking why
they would want to join.  If I didn't get a reponse, or the response didn't
make sense, I would reject them.  I got very few abusers and those that
tried were squashed quickly.  It is fairly easy process given that the
e-mail request includes quick links to allow or reject the new user.

We should also start reporting these idiots.  Here are some links that I
found regarding policies and abuse reporting forms.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/abuse/abuse-02.html

http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/groups/cgi_abuse

Just my $1.95.