[antlr-interest] Re: Nondeterminism problem

Oliver Zeigermann oliver at zeigermann.de
Tue Dec 23 13:29:11 PST 2003

sarah2geller wrote:

> --- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Terence Parr <parrt at c...>
> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, December 19, 2003, at 12:09 PM, sarah2geller wrote:
>>
>>>Since t is not on the right side of a production, the t
>
> production is
>
>>>not reachable in the grammar.
>>>
>>>As I said before, LL(1), SLL(1), and LALL(1) are all the same
>
> grammar
>
>>>class. This is a well-known fact that you can find in any text
>
> book.
>
>>I think you'll find it says more precisely that LL(1) can be
>
> rewritten
>
>>as SLL(1) but they are not the same class of grammars.  Same class
>
> of
>
>>languages, though. :)
>>

> No, I won't find this at all. Give a reference instead of hot air.

Hmmm, the misunderstanding seems to be based on the difference between
SLL (=simply LL) and strong-LL. As indicated by the reference Sarah
already gave:

http://www.cs.vu.nl/~dick/PTAPG.html

p. 174, 8.2.3 claims every strong-LL(1) is LL(1) and the other way
round, but not true for k > 1. This is what Sarah says. Now on p.167,
8.1 it says *simple LL(1)* also called *SLL(1)* is a subset of LL(1)
which is obvious when we have a look at the informal definition: "all
right-hand sides of a non-terminal start with a different terminal
symbol". That's what Terence said. Both are more or less right then, but
were just using those confusing names differently.

So, folks, calm down :)

Oliver

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: