FW: [antlr-interest] got new "language implementation" lecture au dio up

Jim O'Connor Jim.OConnor at microfocus.com
Wed Feb 19 10:38:22 PST 2003

Hi Terence,
  I've been through the "JavaSrc"
http://home.austin.rr.com/kjohnston/javasrc.htm implementation of a symbol
table. It originated with the four part series of articles
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Parser/SeriesPt4/.
I assume you are familiar with it. ;)

  I have two questions that come from different "ends".  The first is the
step-by-step reasoning.  Where should I jump in to define objects that
contain the necessary information? (example, JavaToken, ClassDef, etc...).
The "other end" is a consideration of intermediate forms.  I have a lot of
.java files.  "JavaSrc" makes two passes saving off reference.txt for
particular directories.  What is the plan with memory considerations?  Can
XML be used for intermediate forms?  I have had little "luck" trying to
implement/understand XTAL to make it effective.

  Another question.  What about imports?  Jar files?  Can introspection be
used?

Jim