[antlr-interest] Why ANTLR 2.x?

ksvanhorn <kevin.vanhorn at ndsu.nodak.edu> kevin.vanhorn at ndsu.nodak.edu
Wed Jan 8 08:52:33 PST 2003

I am planning to use PCCTS 1.33 in a compiler course I am teaching.
The reasons I am using this instead of ANTLR 2.x are

- PCCTS 1.33 comes standard with RedHat Linux 7.3.

- PCCTS 1.33 has a comprehensive manual (Language Translation Using
PCCTS and C++), whereas ANTLR 2.x has no such comprehensive
documentation, to my knowledge.

- ANTRL 2.x is a Java application.  It has been my experience that
Java apps are painfully slow, awkward to use, and difficult to
install.  (I always run into problems with having the right version of
Java required for an app, and then you have to worry about getting
CLASSPATH set correctly, etc.)

Are there any compelling reasons to use ANTRL 2.x over 1.33?