[antlr-interest] Re: Why ANTLR 2.x?

Tom Moog tmoog at polhode.com
Wed Jan 8 16:40:15 PST 2003

The Book is available online in .pdf format. There
is a link to it from my web page.  The "Notes for
New Users" have been updated since the Book was
published.

pccts supports semantic predicate hoisting and has
had a lot of related improvements.

pccts supports k>1 grammars, not just linear approximation.

pccts supports C++ and C (but the C code is rather ugly).

pccts integration with the sorcerer tree walker
is inferior to the integration of antlr 2
with its tree walker

pccts is hobbled by the need for backward
compatibility, and the source code shows its age.

pccts has what I think are good tools for tracking down
ambiguities in grammars ("ambiguity aid").  I think this
may be the best reason for it to be adopted for students.

antlr2 has a more active community, and more examples
available.