[antlr-interest] Can Resolvers etc be written as ANTLR tree parsers?

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Mon Jan 13 17:24:43 PST 2003

> Hi,
[...]

> I am a total ANTLR TreeParser newbie. Having read the docs again, I felt
> that Resolvers and SymbolTale population are things that it should be
> possible for a TreeParser to do. Am I right or have I missed something
> fundamentally?

That sounds like a tautology...

Sure, you can walk a tree and gather whatever information is available from
the tree.

The trick is to build the initial AST with sufficient information. :-)
A canonical example seems to be mapping back to the source with position
information.

Remember that you can:

	* make multiple passes over the tree

	* transform the tree into "better" trees

	* create auxiliary structues that you thread through the tree

> If there are examples of resolvers etc written as ANTLR tree parsers, I'd
> appreciate a link/sample.

In this context, what do you mean by "resolvers"?

Take care,
	John