[antlr-interest] Re: 2.7.2 released: get it while it's hot!

xadeck <decoret at graphics.lcs.mit.edu> decoret at graphics.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Jan 22 07:35:21 PST 2003

I would like to thank all of you too. It is really a great tool and
though It couls sound cool to work with lex and yacc cause you can
easily play the guru, I am so glad to give up with this tools of an
old age.

Of course I would still have suggestions ;-) since any good free tool
always seems to cause user to ask for more! But these are very minor,
minor suggestions and I almost feel ashame to propose.

1) it would be useful to have an empty virtual function init() called
at the end of each constructor of each base class (at least lexers and
parsers) so when you override them (one very nice feature of antlr)
you can overide this init() and ensure some initializiation (such as
for examples setting line number to 0,etc..) is performed. Right now
it seems to me you have to tell programmer using your derived lexer to
be sure to call init().

2) When generating grammar in C++ with AST disabled (using gcc-3.2)
there is a (annoying) warning due to the following code in parser.cpp
void parser::initializeASTFactory(
ANTLR_USE_NAMESPACE(antlr)ASTFactory& factory )
{
}
could just ensure that no argument name (factory) is given when
initializeASTFactory is empty. This way anltr code would compiled
nicelly without any warning.

Thanks again, I'll try to contribute soon with:
- a tutorial (for C++ users)
- an RPM for Mandrake of 2.7.2
- a release of the grammar I use for VRML2

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Terence Parr <parrt at j...>