[antlr-interest] How to easily parse a language into a tree ?

weberjn <weberjn at yahoo.com> weberjn at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 23 08:25:32 PST 2003

I am trying to parse an IDL (using the grammar in the antlr package)
to extract struct information into a data structure I can work with.

First I tried buildAST=true;
but the resulting linked list does not really help me.

Second I thought of using a tree grammar, but the way to do that seems
difficult and as I userstand, I have to write an additional tree
grammar.

So I started including semantic predicates into the existing IDL
grammar:

member  returns [ Member m ]
{   m=new Member();
	LinkedList l=new LinkedList(); String s;}
	:   s=type_spec { m.type_spec=s; } declarators[l] { m.declarators=l;
}SEMI;

where Member is a user class. Basically this would be a tree with
Collections as containers and user defined classes as knodes.

I wonder if this is the most easy way? As it seems it is a lot of work
and clutters the grammar.

Thank you,
Juergen