[antlr-interest] PERL VS ANTLR

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Mon Jan 27 08:26:02 PST 2003

Sounds like a troll but what the heck... :-)

[...]

> I was wondering how do Perl and Antlr compare .  Would Antlr be a
> superset of Perl ?  Or is Perl THE language for text manipulation ?
> Answers to this question should ignore the learning time .I just want to
> know if Antlr can do more than Perl even if its a language blah blah
> ...!!!

(A) Perl is a general purpose programming language.

(B) Perl programs for translation work tend very strongly to be based on
ad hoc, simplistic (though often ridiculously complex) use of regular
expressions.

(C) ANTLR is a grammar-based lexer/parser/walker generator.

Go wild,
	John