[antlr-interest] Re: PERL VS ANTLR

sudip mitra s_mitra8 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 14:59:33 PST 2003

wow ...!!! some explanation ... you think very clearly !!!
 "cintyram <cintyram at yahoo.com>" <cintyram at yahoo.com> wrote:well , in principle, antlr supports context free , which is a super
set of regular ;
but perl is a programming languge and helps you in doing specific
tasks which might be part of your solution, like making it easy to
read a file, etc .. also the pattern matching and other r.e functions
are very powerful and sufficient for most common tasks; for eg: if all
you have to do is read links out of a file, or simply search and
replace a specific patter with a specific other .. then perl might be
easier to use;

on the other hand, if you try writing a system like monty's gcc
framework etc. in PERL you will find that it is easier to think and
specify in ebnf ;
so the comparison is actually case by case , and one should not
generalize ;

also with antlr, you generate code to do something, but with perl you
actually formulate the whole solution and code it!!

so your question for the most part wants to compare apples and oranges.
/e
cheers
ram

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "John D. Mitchell"