[antlr-interest] One weird, one (hopefully) simple problem .. . from a newbie

Robert Colquhoun rjc at trump.net.au
Tue Jan 28 04:10:07 PST 2003

At 02:13 PM 27/01/2003 +0000, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

>I know all about the nasties in the language ... fortunately not from
>having met them most of the time. INFOBASIC does not have the REMark
>keyword - that killed some 80% of our code when we ported to UV :-( It
>also doesn't have the ' ' operator.

Are you sure? i don't run universe but downloaded their basic manual which
talks about REM as a comment and the REMainder function, maybe you cannot
have REM as a valid variable name?  It also talks about the 'format
expression'(look under FMT function) which i called the ' ' operator.

>I'm unlikely to try implementing most of those nasties ... and I have no
>intention of rewriting the compiler in C! I've always got gcj for that :-)
>Which I may well use also for the runtime.

I think my code and antlr runtime can be compiled under gcj, i believe
people have done this for other antlr based compilers.

>As I say, at the moment I'm just using it as a base to learn Java and
>Antlr. I think those skills will be worth having, even if I don't get any
>further...
>
>I want to complete my native filesystem, and my vision was always to push
>as much development into BASIC as possible. I think I speak for a lot of
>traditionalists when I say I find MaVerick a bit too modern :-)

and then someone else comes along as tells me they want to write their
webapp in basic and could i wrap the servlet api so they can throw away
PHP.....

  - Robert