[antlr-interest] How to use java parser to grab expressions from source?

charlweed charlweed at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 10 13:23:39 PDT 2003

To make a long story short, I have a personal project to add
a "replace fields with setters" function to the Netbeans Java editor.
All I want to do (at the moment) is be able to transform Java source
code by replacing instances of
    someIndentifier = <expression>;
with
    setSomeIndentifier(<expression>);
For all valid expressions.

After much experimenting with the example Java stuff in the antlr
distribution, it seems that the original source is not stored in the
finished AST tree.
Accordingly, I am currently trying to augment the expression() or
assignmentExpression() method in JavaRecognizer, but I'm stumbling
around in the dark. I tried a method to transform the AST variable
expression_AST back into source code by walking it and it's sub
nodes. However:
(A) the AST tree seems to be empty for the life of these calls , and
(B) I still can't find the original source.
I get the (sinking) feeling that I need to extend several classes,
and use them instead of the defaults, but even after walking through
the tutorial, I'm afraid I don't know where to start for
JavaRecognizer and/or JavaLexer.

Any tips or pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Charlweed