[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3 License

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Thu Jul 17 13:46:09 PDT 2003

Quoting Matt Benson <gudnabrsam at yahoo.com>:

> Wow.  That was rough.  Personally, I'm not the least
> bit ashamed to admit having difficulty in
> understanding the dizzying wording of the various
> open-source licenses.

That reflects the unfortunate fact that, "I'm a techie; I shouldn't be
expected to understand a legal document," has become an accepted means of
evading the chore of dealing with and understanding the issues of policy that
are an inevitable consequence of writing code. In general, such documents are
written to be understandable and unambiguous--with the unfortunate side effect
of making them verbose and tedious to read.

As a matter of fact, there are plenty of software engineers working at
software companies who routinely and confidently use and depend on LGPL
software. Assertions to the contrary exhibit ignorance.

I am not trying to promote the LGPL for use with a future version of ANTLR. In
fact, as long as my ability to continue to use ANTLR output with my LGPL
software is not threatened--and I do not anticipate that it will be--I have no
opinion on the matter. However, just about every message posted decrying the
potential application of the LGPL to ANTLR has included varying amounts of
inaccuracy, much of which has obviously been FUD repeated n-hand. As someone
who develops LGPL software, I may be inclined to respond harshly to gross
inaccuracies resulting from what I perceive as in-your-face intellectual
laziness.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>