[antlr-interest] Building antlr libs on MS Visual C++ 6 SP5

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Mon Jul 28 02:53:18 PDT 2003

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 04:31:33PM -0000, Aaron Nauman wrote:
> I ran into a couple of issues building 2.7.2 with VC6 service pack 5.

I'm not suprised ;) You are trying to make a DLL or static build?

If you are willing to spend some time on the VC6 stuff could you work of a
recent snapshot? Available at

http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~klaren/antlr/

That one is reported to work with VC7, VC7 patches broke VC6 though.

> #if defined(_MSC_VER) && !defined(__ICL) // Microsoft Visual C++
> extern template class ANTLR_API ASTRefCount<AST>;
> #endif

Still need to make a solution for the various MSVC's. Probably need some
macro to specify the required template stuff for the various versions and
control that from config.hpp.

> These cause warnings and are not needed in the latest versions of
> MSVC.  Does anyone know which versions do require these so that we can
> include those only when necessary?  I had to comment these out to
> build.

Those were needed by VC6 on a previous SP. I myself don't have easy VC6
access and I don't know the compiler to well, so any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893722  ----