[antlr-interest] IBM MVS JCL recognition

Silvain Piree s.piree at enneya.com
Fri Mar 14 00:34:41 PST 2003

Jim,

>  JCL has a number of fun recognition problems for which
> ANTLR might have solutions.

We've built a IBM JCL parser for our re-engineering services
and I would advise you to take the preprocessor route.

We've built a preprocessor using ANTLR lexer to handle
constructs like:

- EXEC PROC=name, symbols
- PROC name, symbols
- INCLUDE MEMBER=name
- DD *, DLM=...
- SET symbols
- etc.

It would be VERY difficult to build a one-pass parser that does
both preprocessing and parsing.

In fact, even the preprocessing is pretty complex. We usually
build multiple small preprocessors to handle the different
preprocessing constructs (i.e. multi-pass preprocessing),
but for JCL the only solution was to build a one-pass preprocessor
because everything depends on everything.

Hope this helps, kind greetings,

Silvain Piree
Refactive (www.refactive.com)