[antlr-interest] [comp.compilers.tools.pccts] Re: Is there a run-time parsing facility

micheal_jor open.zone at virgin.net
Wed May 7 15:19:43 PDT 2003

Hi Soumen,

> From a dynamic grammar/automation end-user point of view I
> have the following "use cases":
>
>    1. I am receiving a text string. I just supply a correct
>       grammar file. The text string passes or fails. If the
>       text string fails, I get pointer to text string which
>       fails showing corresponding parser/lexer rule.

What additional benefit does this provide beyond the generally
avaible behavior of raising exceptions?

>    2. If I supply a wrong grammar file, I get an exception
>       showing where in grammar file the error occurs.

Given that run-time systems also have a compile-time capability, I'd
have thought it was sufficient to simply alert you to the fact that
there is an error. Grammar file debugging can and should be done
interactively *before* the grammar is actually used dynamically.

>    3. Validation of text string does not cause unbound loop.
>       Probably max-loop is configurable.

Depends on (2) above.

>    4. If I provide grammar rule, I get text fragment for a valid
>       text string. In other words I retrive text fragments by
>       parser/lexer rules. For example I say give me the substrings
>       corresponding to SQL DELETE statements.

Is that just a special use of a pretty-printing TreeParser?

> Implementation details should be hidden. As I understand a parser
> generator provides computational service by which a program
> understands text by systematically breaking it by parser/lexer
> rules. I just would like to avail this service without any
> compile time/typing commitment. If I require I am willing to
> do type commitment in the sense of dynamically using ANTLR types
> but NO compile time commitment. I do not wish to use any generated
> types (only type commitment is in terms of predefined ANTLR
> types).
>
> This may be difficult to do. I just wanted to clarify end user
> requirements on dynamic grammar/automation computational service.
>
> Regarding performance, this kind implementation may be horribly slow
> today but may not be in future.

Are you planning to build such a dynamic generation framework atop
ANTLR Soumen?

Cheers,

Micheal