[antlr-interest] Parsing AspectJ pointcuts

mstrzer stoerzer at fmi.uni-passau.de
Thu May 15 06:49:44 PDT 2003

Hi everybody!

I'm just trying to write a parser for AspectJ based on ANTLR. Now
AspectJ has some weired syntax, at least from parsing point of view,
so I ran into a bunch of problems.

AspectJ extends Java by allowing pointcuts which look like this

pointcut myPointcut(<arglist>):
    call(!public SomeQualifiedReturnType*with..patterns*
         someMethodName*withPatterns(..));

All those patterns interfere with (qualified) identifiers, arithmetic
expressions (*) and so on, a real mess. So I thought it would be a
good idea to use a different lexer here.

Now, as I learned from studying the documentation and some earlier
posts, it is not possible (or recommendable) to try to switch the
lexer from the parser.

On the other hand, I have no single token where I can switch the lexer
in the lexer grammar, besides some keywords ("pointcut").

However, I couldn't figure out, how to associate a action (like
switching the lexer) with a keyword.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks in advance, best regards,

    Max