[antlr-interest] Re: High level semantic analysis

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Mon May 19 11:18:09 PDT 2003

My take on this paper is that they are basically translating a
domain-specific logic language to a procedural one, and that there is
nothing special here.  At least they used ANTLR (in its PCCTS
incarnation) for the implementation even if they mention lex and yacc
in figure 2.

As far as the theorem-proving part of this goes, most of these use the
"resolution" approach found in any good computer logic text (an intro
to Prolog would probably discuss this).

As far as better tree rewrite support goes, that is planned for ANTLR
3.  I haven't yet figured out whether JBURG is useful for this or not:
 the BURG algorithm works on binary trees, and I have not had the time
to see if ANTLR syntax trees (abstract syntax trees describe the
grammar specification; ANTLR syntax trees replace parse trees and
should probably be labeled "concrete syntax trees" or just "syntax
trees") can be easily mapped to the binary formalism.  If it can, it
should be possible to use a set of BURG rules to generate a tree
rewrite grammar instead of specifying the rewrite manually.

--Loring

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, mzukowski at y... wrote:
> You can use JBurg to do the matching & optimization type stuff.  See
Ter's
> lecture http://www.cs.usfca.edu/~parrt/course/652/labs/jburg.html.
>
> Not sure about how to link in the theorem proving aspect of that
stuff
> though.  RML as described seems like a somewhat incomplete beast
judging
> from the thesis on the open source modelica implementation.  I
couldn't find
> too much written about it, maybe I was looking in the wrong places.
I guess
> I need an example a bit more compelling than addition to see what
the
> advantages of RML are.
>
> Monty

ANTLR is