[antlr-interest] Re: help building c++ 2 c# translator

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Tue May 20 16:05:39 PDT 2003

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "Patrik Suzzi" <imolanet at y...>
wrote:
> Hi ! i'm Patrik, from Italy.
>
> I've a big problem: I dont know how to build a c++ to c# translator.

That is a big problem.

> I ougth to build translator in order to write thesis. I know that
> with ANTLR is not a problem. But I never see computational languages
> course.
>
> I've some questions:
>
> (1) How i can build c++ to c# simple translator using ANTLR ?

Start with the C++ grammar at www.antlr.org.  It will need work to
bring it up to the C++ standard.  That may be a significant
undertaking.

> (2) Can I obtain some UML diagrams for understand ANTLR ?

Not as far as I know.  Take a look at the documentation on the ANTLR
web site.  Also look at some of the papers (under "Articles").  Also
read a good intro to compilers book to get a good feel for EBNF
grammars and read a book on building a recursive descent compiling to
get a feel for what compilers are about.

> Can anyone help me ?

This is a pretty friendly group.  If you do decide to tackle
translation of C++, then keep in touch on this group.  There would be
considerable interest in tracking the project--there are a lot of
people who would like a complete C++ front end for analysis tools.

Good luck!

--Loring