[antlr-interest] Re: Local lookahead depth

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Mon Nov 10 21:04:06 PST 2003

>> [...necessity of guarded predicates...]

[...]

>>> If you can not set the symbol table, you can not parse a language, you
>>> otherwise could. Thus this stuff augments the set of parseable
>>> languages with ANTLR.

>> You still haven't shown how the "guarded predicates" are *necessary* to
>> understanding that type of language.

> Ooops, I though I had shown necessity?! Where is the missing piece?

That's my question. :-) All that you've shown is that using "guarded
predicates" helps you parse that language *only* using a lexer and a
parser.  You haven't shown how that increases the recognition power of a
complete translator has been increased.

As I've noted, you can use additional stages (e.g., antlr-based tree
transformers) to more cleanly solve your example language problem.

Take care,
	John