[antlr-interest] just added a template engine paper to antlr.org

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Wed Nov 12 16:02:59 PST 2003

Folks,

I just submitted a paper to the WWW 2004 conference entitled,
"Enforcing Model-View Separation in Template Engines".  It's on the
article list page:

http://www.antlr.org/article/list

Enclosed is the abstract that says it all.  Soon, I'll be applying this
stuff to ANTLR work.  I already have seen StringTemplate do cool stuff
for building ANTLR 3 code generators :)

Terence

ABSTRACT
The mantra of every experienced web application developer is the same:
"thou shalt separate business logic from display."  Ironically, almost
all template engines allow violation of this separation principle,
which is the very impetus for HTML template engine development. This
situation is due mostly to a lack of formal definition of separation
and fear that enforcing separation emasculates a template's power.  I
show that not only is strict separation a worthy design principle, but
that you can enforce separation while providing a potent template
engine.  I demonstrate my StringTemplate engine, used to build
jGuru.com and other commercial sites, at work solving some nontrivial
generational tasks

My goal is to formalize the study of template engines, thus, providing
a common nomenclature, a means of classifying template generational
power, and a way to leverage interesting results from formal language
theory.  I classify three types of restricted templates analogous to
Chomsky's type 1..3 grammar classes and formally define separation
including the rules that embody separation.

Because this paper provides a clear definition of model-view
separation, template engine designers may no longer blindly claim
enforcement of separation.  Moreover, given theoretical arguments and
empirical evidence, programmers no longer have an excuse to entangle
model-view.
Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com
Co-founder, http://www.knowspam.net enjoy email again!
Co-founder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing