[antlr-interest] Re: a new paper on ANTLR style grammars

Oliver Zeigermann oliver at zeigermann.de
Thu Nov 20 08:35:06 PST 2003

Loring, thanks for the substantial input and taking this seriously :)

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "lgcraymer" <lgc at m...> wrote:
> You can do better by deferring the actions--basically, build a
> monster case statement including all of the possible actions in a
> grammar--and execute them after matching a rule.

*After* exactly is the problem. It is pretty easy to execute actions
after a derivation / reduce, but not while shifting. This may be
desirable though...

> Then you can
> trigger a set of actions at "commit" points.  Functional languages
> make this sort of lazy evaluation easier.

Where should those commit points be?

> Rolling back actions is
> trickier--you have to have some sort of mechanism to record state,
> or the cost for checkpoint/rollback is very high.

Rolling back / forward does not come for free, agreed! But, if
implemented reasonably expenses may at most be doubled. Compared to
worst case exponential costs of backtracking this is not so bad.

> For that matter, you can defer all actions until the entire grammar
> is recognized as long as the actions do not affect the parse.
> Editing of a generated tree might be trickier, but not that
> difficult--you just insert code for that in the list of deferred
> actions.

We discussed this before - but still - writing to and afterwards
reading from a symbol table is quite a usual thing. This can not be
expressed merely by means of CFGs (or less), you need actions and
semantic checks (i.e. predicates) here.

Other than that, to show my colors: I am a big fan of ASTs in genereal
and ANTLR tree transformation in particular :)

Oliver