[antlr-interest] Re: http://www.antlr.org/blog/antlr3/whitepaper.tml

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 20 15:33:57 PST 2003

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Ruslan Zasukhin <sunshine at p...> wrote:
> on 11/21/03 12:12 AM, Terence Parr at parrt at c... wrote:
>
> >> Hi Terr,
> >>
> >> I wonder, here just thrown points, no links, yes?
> >>
> >> 1) will ANTLR 3.0 support Unicode?
> >> If yes, then it should be added here
> >
> > It will have better support. :)  What is the part you like least about
> > what ANTLR does currently in terms of UNICODE?
>
> I use C++, and Rick have told that current C++ runtime do not support
> Unicode well.
>
> I get from user UTF16 string, and need parse it.
>
> Inside of our Valentina database engine we also use IBM ICU Unicode library

One of the goals of ANTLR 3 is to be easily retargeted.  That means replacing the XXXCodeGenerator.java files with something much
smaller and more easily modified.  The current CppCodeGenerator.java is over 4000 LOC; Ric does an amazing job just to keep it
working.  Community C++ support for Unicode is much better than it was when ANTLR 2.0 was released; I expect that the 3.0
Unicode support in C++ will be comparable to the Java support just because of that.

See <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php>

> We can't use it commercial projects?
> Or only in open source projects?

Commercial or open source--restrictions are minimal, and mostly to give credit.  Ter's allergic to licenses that prohibit commercial
use.

--Loring