[antlr-interest] Re: python generator for ANTLR progressing again

Michael Cahill mjc at 72dpi.com.au
Wed Oct 29 14:11:06 PST 2003

> Amol Dharmadhikari, a superhuman student at USF, has been working on a
> Python generator for ANTLR, but has gotten stuck working at his job and
> cannot finish it.  He says, "The current version is just the jython
> code generator i.e. to access it you will need some java classes and so
> you need jython.  I also have also attached the jar of the entire
> project imported into eclipse that has the python code generator files."
>
> I'm posting this stuff in the file sharing section of antlr.org.

Thanks!  That's where I found out about it.

> Hans Vangheluwe has interest in moving this project forward so if you
> want to work on this also, please coordinate with Hans.

I'm also interested - how can I get in touch with Hans?  Alternatively, Hans, if you're
on the list, can you contact me?

More generally, is there a "projects" page somewhere for things like this with contact
details for the lead / maintainer?

> I'm pretty sure Amol got a jython version working.  Can anybody confirm?

The generated Python code looks pretty good to me, but I don't know Jython so I can't
confirm if it works out of the box.  I've started on implementing the ANTLR runtime
classes in Python so generated code can be run by standard Python.

It would be great to get this working - I don't know of a really good parser
generator for Python.

Michael.